Recommendations for maintaining endocrine services during COVID-19
04 Nov 2020
We believe that it is paramount that we continue providing specialty endocrine services in current and future COVID-19 waves for our patients’ safety.
The Future of Endocrinology working group have compiled COVID-19 second wave planning recommendations, so that they may be considered for local implementation.
- Endocrine departmental capacity should be left at a minimum of 25% - higher wherever possible.
- Clearly defined roles for specific team members, including nurses, shielding colleagues and registrars.
- Maintaining speciality training for endocrine trainees.
- Integrating working between primary, secondary and tertiary care as much as possible with shared systems.
- Ensuring the primary, secondary and tertiary care centres within a region understand referral routes for patients.
- Identifying patients for whom virtual consultations are appropriate long term.
- Reviewing phlebotomy services, MDTs, work load priorities and using available resources.
Please send any further ideas of clinical service innovations and efficiencies that you are willing to share, to firstname.lastname@example.org.