Useful career resources for endocrine nurses
We are gathering a collection of resources to provide tips and advice to help you improve your knowledge and advance your career, from Society opportunities, to practice guides and general endocrine information.
This page gets updated as we receive or create new resources. If you have any resources to add to this page, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Connect with your peers:
- Do you need advice or support from a fellow endocrine nurse? We can connect you to the right people to help support your career journey. Contact us to find out more.
- Are you an Early Career member? Join our friendly lunchtime chats on Microsoft Teams with a senior nurse member where you can seek advice about your career and meet your peers at the same time. Contact us to find out more.
Attend an event or webinar:
- Find information about the Society’s events, such as SfE BES and Endocrine Nurse Update.
- Watch the 2020 Endocrine Nurse Skills and Clinical Skills webinar series on demand in the Members' Area.
Apply to become a member of a Committee:
- Nurse Committee
- Public Engagement Committee
- Early Career Steering Group
- Contact us to find out more.
Apply for a grant:
- Endocrine Nurse Grant
- Meeting Support Grant
- Practical Skills Grant
- Early Career Grant
- Public Engagement Grant
Take part in outreach:
- Become a You and Your Hormones Content Editor.
- Become an Endocrine Ambassador and help raise awareness of endocrinology.
- Become a Media Ambassador and help us ensure science is reported accurately in the media.
- Write a blog post for The Endocrine Post, the official Society for Endocrinology blog. Contact us with your proposal.
- Society clinical guidance on endocrine conditions.
- COVID-19 resources for managing endocrine conditions.
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Case Reports.
- NHS adult steroid emergency card for patients with Adrenal Insufficiency.
- Clinical Endocrinology journal.
- Reference guide to consent for examination or treatment (second edition), Government Department of Health and Social Care.
- Language matters: language and diabetes resource, by NHS England.
- Book: Introducing Advanced Practice in Endocrinology Nursing, by Sofia Llahana.
- Endobible, practical guide to endocrine diagnosis and management.
- Book: Oxford Handbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes (3rd Edition).
- Competency Framework for Adult Endocrine Nursing Second Edition.
- Oxford Brookes Masters-level Module in Endocrine Nursing.
- Video: The art of scientific writing, by Maralyn Druce.
- Building your CV, by Jacqueline Maybin
- Never say no: making the most of opportunities to learn, by Maria Ravelo.
- Interdepartmental peer review: a nurse’s perspective, by Phillip Yeoh.
- The path to the right PhD, by Matthew Sinton.
- Resources on how to publish
- You and Your Hormones, a free endocrine encyclopaedia written and reviewed by experts from the Society for Endocrinology’s membership community.
All endocrine conditions:
- You and Your Hormones offers an extensive library of information about all endocrine conditions.
- Endocrine Connections
- Journal of Endocrinology
- Endocrine Related Cancer
- European Journal of Endocrinology
- The Society’s new podcast series, Hormones: The Inside Story.
- Cortisol alert dog: improving patient outcomes? By Helen Loo.
- Stress and the adrenal patient: safety first, please! By Katherine G White.
- Strong, steady and straight: exercise recommendations for osteoporosis and bone health, by Sarah Leyland and Jon Tobias.
- Type 1 diabetes and exercise, by Taffy Makaya and Stefan Haest.
- Video: The clock in the pituitary gland: timing annual cycles, by A Loudon.
- Congenital disorders of pituitary development: molecular genetics and management, by Mehul Dattani.
- 24 hours in the life of a hormone: what time is the right time for a pituitary function test? By Anneke Graf.
- DI: a danger of incompetence? By Stephanie Baldeweg.
- Video: Male fertility regulation; achievements and frustrations, by R McLachlan.
- Video: Kisspeptin - a vital trigger of puberty with therapeutic potential, by Waljit Dhillo.
- Beyond the ovary: steroids and PCOS, by Wiebke Arlt.
- Hyperandrogenism: differences in sexual development and sport, by Peter Sönksen.
- Reproductive medicine: time is of the essence, by Kugajeevan Vigneswaran and Sesh Kamal Sunkara.
- Video: Disorders of thyroid hormone action, insights from human genetics, by K Chatterjee.
- Video: Debate treatment for patients with hypothyroidism, by Colin Dayan & Tony Weetman
- Thyroid regenerative therapy: new insights, by Anthony N Hollenberg.
- Cardiac disease complicating Graves’ disease in young adults.
- ACC Support UK
- Addison's Disease Self Help Group
- Alex, The Leukodystrophy Charity
- Association for Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Disorders (AMEND)
- British Thyroid Foundation
- Brittle Bone Society
- Butterfly Thyroid Cancer Trust
- CAH Support Group
- Child Growth Foundation
- Haemochromatosis UK
- Klinefelter's Syndrome Association UK
- National Association for Premenstrual Syndrome (NAPS)
- NET Patient Foundation
- Parathyroid UK
- Pituitary Foundation
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Association UK
- Thyroid Eye Disease Charitable Trust
- Turner Syndrome Support Society