Society for Endocrinology Competency Framework for Adult Endocrine Nursing (2nd Edition)
Focusing on core knowledge, skills and interventions that are specific to nurses working as adult endocrine nurses.
First developed in 2013 by Society Nurse members, the Competency Framework for Adult Endocrine Nursing has been published to enhance the clinical care received by adults with an endocrine disorder. In 2015, the 2nd Edition of this Competency Framework was published incorporating four new competencies: benign adrenal tumours, hypo- and hyperparathyroidism, osteoporosis and polycystic ovary syndrome.
The Competency Framework is designed to enhance the professional development of endocrine nurses by helping them:
- deliver consistently high standards of care
- identify the level of practice and plan a career in a more structured way
- pinpoint personal educational and developmental needs
- realise potential more effectively
- seize opportunities to influence the direction of nursing.
Employers benefit because it the framework provides:
- a model to ensure consistently high standards of care
- clearer insight into the expertise and competence of staff; for example, in assessment of risk management
- assistance in organisational planning
- a tool for developing personal goals and objectives and performance appraisal
The European Society of Endocrinology has now translated the 2nd Edition of the Competency Framework in to:
Future translations, including Dutch and Italian, are coming soon and will be found here.